My Life In Books



Inspired by an article in a magazine I read regularly, Red.

THE LAST BOOK I READ:
The Help - Kathryn Stockett.   The black women who ensured that their employers households ran smoothly and efficiently, including the raising of the children, set in the 1950s and 60s.  I finished it yesterday, but I am still mulling it over, the sign of a good book for me. 

MY FAVOURITE BOOK:
Persuasion by Jane Austen. Much as I love Elizabeth Bennett, Anne Elliott is my favourite Austen heroine. Perhaps due to Anne's greater maturity and her having had to endure situations I myself would have struggled with, I admire her greatly.  Anne doesn't have the sass Elizabeth has, but she has a self contained wisdom that I envy.  It's thought that it was Jane's brother Henry who changed the title from The Elliotts (Jane's title) to Persuasion after her death, what a wonderfully inspired decision. The act of Persuasion is fraught with moral danger, Jane made the point; persuade at your peril.

THE BOOK THAT MAKES ME CRY:
If The Spirit Moves You by Justine Picardie.   Justine writes truthfully and elegantly about the cruel, early loss of her dear sister Ruth, and her struggle for the year after Ruth's death to come to terms with her loss.

THE BEST HOLIDAY BOOK:
White Oleander by Janet Fitch.  The story of a young girl named Astrid living in the US with her cold-hearted, self centered and eccentric mother, Ingrid.  A cataclysmic event involving Ingrid, means that Astrid is forced to go into a series of care and foster homes.   A big adventurous, exotic and rewarding read.


THE BEST AUTOBIOGRAPHY:
Love Child by Allegra Huston.  After hearing Allegra speak at a book festival I was compelled to buy her book. A peek behind the high walls of Hollywood.  She writes with a kindness and compassion that is unusual and endearing, about her somewhat unorthodox upbringing as the supposed child of the Legendary film director, John Huston.

THE BOOK I WISH I'D WRITTEN:
Year Of Wonders by Geraldine Brook.  Set in 1666, in the Derbyshire village of Eyam.  One woman's account of a year in her life when the bubonic plague descended on her village in the Derbyshire Dales. Based on a true story.

THE ONE BOOK EVERYONE SHOULD READ:
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  So much already written of which I could add so little except to say, I had a marvelous English lit teacher at school who inspired me and enlightened me with her teaching.  Although this book now contains phrases and words we would no longer use, it still stands up as one of the best books of the 20th century, if not the best.

My thoughts are with the people of Japan at this time.  I have travelled within the country and know how stoic and strong the Japanese people are.  They showed me great kindness and hospitality. I will be selling books on my Etsy shop to benefit the Tsunami relief fund this week.


4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading about all your favourite books. I too love 'Persuasion' and the character of Anne Elliott and I really enjoyed 'A year of Wonders' for lots of different reasons - we know Eyam quite well as some of my husband's ancestors lived in the village. Not in the 17th century though:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rosie. I was lucky enough to visit Eyam a few years ago, I went to the church and past the manor house. I walked through the graveyard to see if I could spot any familiar names. But it was the surrounding countryside that really made me feel as if I could step back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So agree about the Justine Picardie book, she is one of my favourite writers. Also enjoyed White Oleander, and agree with your thoughts on Persuasion and Austens heroines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Maggie, interesting we have such similar reading tastes :)

    ReplyDelete