Happy Feet





I've had bloggers block.  I think it may be linked to the fact that for over 2 months I have been unable to walk more than a few yards without pain, it has finally been diagnosed as tendonitis in my achilles.  I can only walk comfortably in trainers - with orthopedic gel inserts. Not a great look, and I am not sure how long it will be for. I really miss walking.

Then yesterday, I saw that Claire Lomas completed her London Marathon, 16 days after the race was started on 22nd April, supported by her family and friends.  Claire was paralysed from the chest down in a riding accident five years ago.  But she walked 26 miles in 16 days, with the aid of a £43,000 balance detecting 'robot suit'. In the process she has raised over £90,000 - so far.  No whining, no complaining that the robot suit made her bum look big, just getting out there and doing something positive and useful.  As she didn't complete the course on 22nd April she doesn't qualify for a medal, and when Matthew Pinsent, the rower, tweeted about this he ended up receiving 15 medals from other marathon competitors - giving their medals to Claire. She has raised enough money to fund a three year research project into spinal injuries.  Claire was cheered by huge crowds as she crossed the finishing line on the Mall.

Today the Dalai Lama tweeted, 'Actively promoting the positive inner qualities of the human heart will be appreciated by all'.  You know, I think he may be on to something.









8 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your tendonitis - hope you can walk again soon. Claire Lomas completing the marathon was very touching (and her husband who supported her all the way round but wanted to stay out of the limelight). Think I need to start following the Dalai Lama on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes, the Dalai Lamas words of wisdom are a lovely way to start the day - with a cup of tea - obvs!

      Delete
  2. Oh, dear that does sound painful I do hope that now you know what the problem is something can be done to help to get you back walking again. What a very brave and wonderful lady Claire Lomas is, such determination!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosie, optimism and positivity are my new weapons of choice :)

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely post ... just what I needed today. My step-mom had a problem with tendonitis which got better she thought by doing some physical therapy exercises she learned from her PT using a can of veg. Did your doc refer you for PT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello E! Thank you, it's nice to hear something helped, no matter how small. I am seeing a physio, trouble is, he's young and very hot. I took Son with me and he said 'Wow Mum did you see his muscly body?' Me, 'No.....'
      I'm using ice and exercises, but my patience 'muscle' needs work too! To quote Simon Amstell (from Grandmas House) *acceptance*

      Delete
  4. Strangely enough, I too am having problems with one of my feet, unable to put weight on it, so maybe need to see the doc, though I get so fed up of going there, I put it off whenever I can! But Claire Lomas makes us all look like moaning minnies doesn't she, when we complain of the slightest thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claire Lomas is amazing, what an achievement...that Dalai Lama is an interesting chap!!!Hope you are feeling better soon...sending you some of those Dalai vibes,

    sarah -x-

    ReplyDelete