January Blues




Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all

A beautiful poem by Emily Dickinson that sums up how I feel in January. Living where we do in the world means we have short days in our long dark winters.  Even though the weather has been kind (too kind, the cruel cold must surely be coming) I need hope that sunlight and warmth will return. I took the above photo yesterday, the bright low sun lightening everyone and everything.

Blogger is behaving badly. I cannot get it to centre Emily's poem. Bad Blogger.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely poem - I think the cold snap is on it's way. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photo and poem. It is strangely mild isn't it? I keep thinking that we will be hit hard by some awful weather later. Blogger is also strange at the moment, it has taken me ages to leave this comment as the comment box kept disappearing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will leave a message whilst I can Rosie, TNMA & GG, as I too have had difficulty leaving comments. Thanks for stopping by. I'm stocking up on logs, fire lighters and hot chocolate, the cold front is blowing in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely poem......inspired......I don't mind the cold so much as the dank, cloud-heavy drizzle that seems to dog so many days!!

    ReplyDelete