Heat And Dust

In the manner of Chandler Bing, could there BE any more rain?

As I type this, rain is falling hard and fast - again.  So my online bookshop is getting more of my attention.  This week I have put up copies of Howards End and A Passage To India.  I put it down to a craving for warmer, drier climes.

To satisfy said craving, this weekend I will start A Winter In Arabia by Freya Stark.  I'm looking for intense heat, smelly, noisy camels, dry sand that gives easily underfoot and romantic and mysterious bedouins.  I want to be transported from floods, blocked drains, damp and mud to a remote desert escape, where there is no concept of too much water, where there are no grey clouds, in fact no clouds at all, just a bright azure sky and dazzling sunshine. Warning - gratuitous desert photo coming up;


image from Zavastki.com

and another



Image from Wikipedia

and another

image from Panorami.com


Welcome February, roll on March and spring.  Have a warm weekend.










8 comments:

  1. I can feel the heat rising from your photos. I hope you enjoy immersing yourself in stories of the Arabian desert on this very cold winter's afternoon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, to the question could there be any more rain, it appears the answer is yes, quite a lot more...

      Delete
  2. Thanks YAH, the desert turned out to be a mirage in a flood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll trade you. I'm British born, naturalized American living in Texas with extreme heat, multiple year drought, dust, and any other adjective you wish to add. My family all live close by or I would be somewhere there is constant rain. Seattle maybe. Would love to live back in the UK but it's not how it was when I was growing up. When I spent my summers there with my Grandparents, I never tired of the constant rain. They lived in St.Anne's. Gorgeous gardens, lush vegetation. Here we have tumbleweeds. We have to bloom where we are so I try to make the best of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the perspective Hilary, it seems a lot of places are suffering from extremes right now. Hope you get some of our rain soon.

      Delete
  4. has the weather got better? I hear it is warm there, I hope you are over the worst, immersing yourself in a book sounds good therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing wrong with some desert pics! I'm interested in Freya Stark, too. Look forward to reading your review.

    ReplyDelete