You pierce my soul...



I am currently rereading Persuasion by Jane Austen for the second time, and following the blogs of others rereading too, it is like being in a virtual bookclub .  As well as Persuasion being my favourite Austen book, Anne is my favourite Austen heroine.   I envy Annes restraint and generosity of spirit.

Persuasion is a subtle art of genius.  Things unsaid can be detected by what the characters describe not what is heard, not easy in a novel, so much easier to show in the filmed adaptations.  It is a mature book which bears out the fact that it is Austens later work and reflects her own loves, losses and disappointments.  Except in Persuasion she writes the romantic happy ending that I am sure Austen would have liked for herself.

I'll let Cassandra, Janes sister, have the last word.  Cassandra wrote in her own copy of Persuasion, which is now in the Bodleian Library, Oxford, "Dear, dear Jane!  This deserves to be written in letters of gold."

http://booksasfood.blogspot.com/2011/09/he-ought-not-he-does-not.

http://bookssnob.wordpress.com/2011/09/25/persuasion-week-2-emotion/

http://vintagereads.blogspot.com/2011/09/louisa-musgroves-fall.html




7 comments:

  1. I really felt from reading this book for the first time thanks to Rachel at Book Snob that Jane Austen had experienced and felt everything she describes for Anne. I hope for my own happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes how true it should be written in letters of gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that I can't read Austen any more. I devoured her books, and Elizabeth Goudge, Georgette Heyer and the like, in my teens and again in my thirties, but now they just don't touch me at all. Similarly I can't watch costume dramas on television, I get impatient with the flowery use of language for one thing. But I recognise the quality of writing certainly, and know so many people who are re-reading them with as much pleasure now, if not more so now they are more mature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to go back and reread this one. I have an oder copy on the shelf that I picked up somewhere after moving to Cornwall. I never ever tire of Austen's work and I love, love, love period pieces on film and television. Perhaps it's my American roots. I'm completely hooked on Downton Abbey right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jo, I wish you a happy ever after too.

    JDH I wonder if Cassandra had some of her sisters gifts?

    Maggie I have never read any EG or GH, I must look them up.

    GOTJ - love period dramas too, have you seen North and South with Daniella Denby Ashe and Richard Armitage?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love Persuasion! I love all Jane Austen's work, but that is my favorite. This may be bad...but have you ever seen the movie? I watch it when I don't have time to read the book. :-) I really think it's great. And the male lead in it is one of my favorite actors. Ooooh I'm so excited other people love this book! I don't run into a lot of people that have even heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read that book...adding it to my must-reads! thanks for the awesome post!

    ReplyDelete