Book Snob

I have borrowed my title from a blog I follow (I like to think of it as positive plagiarism, a win-win for both parties?!)

I have a TBR (to be read) pile of quite some height at present.  But having been unwell for the past week  I felt unable to tackle some of the weightier tomes.  It was the same with food - only light would do. So I tucked into a book I had previously avoided, as I thought it too lightweight.  The book is Bill Bryson's Notes From A Small Island.  The book was a treat.  Bill (as I now call him!) is an unashamed anglophile.  Last night he was on the news, he's signed a petition to prevent the sell off of woodland to overseas investors.  He rails against litter and the ripping up of our ancient hedgerows.  He is the President for The Campaign To Protect Rural England.

These issues are close to my heart too.   Maybe my eating and reading diet will revert back to my old habits this week, but I will try and amend my judging ways and keep in mind the saying, don't judge a book by it's cover.

http://bookssnob.wordpress.com/

6 comments:

  1. Folk in Norfolk tend to think of Bill as their own since he lives here now! I have all his books, he is a charming man, passionate in a quiet yet assertive kind of way.
    And - don't know if you would be interested but I have a couple of books that are a bit different and therefore seem to fit the ethos of your Etsy shop! People know you sell the slightly unusual and unobtainable in some cases. There's a Mrs Beeton, no don't sigh at the thought of another one, but this seems to be quite scarce, and I am led to believe it's 1930s, dark blue cloth bindings embossed with black and gold, in good condition, undated, worth about £30-£40 but I'm looking for £20 including P&P. And Cloak of Charity, a book about 18th century philanthropy with a colourful D/J which is in only fair to good condition, a fiver plus P&P. I will be putting them on my blog, but thought I'd tell you about them first. As you have seen I am starting to sell things on there now, and thanks for the positive comment too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think Bill Bryson proves the point that books can be funny and accessible without being low-brow. I really enjoy his books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Maggie, thank you for your very kind offer, I have a back log of books and one of my scouts (OK, family!) found me a Mrs Beeton, that sounds remarkably similar to yours, just a couple of weeks ago. I am trying to put things on with a theme, for obvious reasons this next months theme is love. I think my next theme will be spring.
    Norfolk is a part of the world I have never seen, and intend to put that right in the next couple of years. I know so many people that love it there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Belinda, sometimes I think popularity puts me off too - how contrary is that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just noticed this! I like your borrowing of my name. :) I must say I have never picked up a Bill Bryson...largely because, even though I know full well that's he's hilarious and very intelligent, I feel snobby about reading 'popular' books everyone else has read! Ha! Doesn't stop me from reading Jane Austen though, does it? Love your etsy shop by the way, though it's naughty of you to tempt us bibliophiles with such lovely tomes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, sorry I missed your comment. Glad you weren't offended that I paid you the highest of compliments! My feeling exactly about BB, I felt I was joining a herd I didn't want to be associated with - verging on the Margot Leadbetter school of snobbery. I enjoyed his book, but not sure when I will pick up another, too many on my tbr list for now.

    ReplyDelete