Silence and Privacy


These are two words I am contemplating this morning.

Silence, seems to be the word du jour. Women going on silent retreats (Women's Hour Mon 22nd Nov), Radio 4 featuring a track of silence by John Cage entitled "4'33", and the Royal British Legion selling 2 minutes of silence to raise money. I tried to remember the last time I was in silence and I think it was in the garden during the time of the ash cloud (we live under the flight path). We must need silence for our mental health, what does it do to us that there is a constant electronic chatter happening around us, unless we are sleeping? I love walking in the countryside, emptying my mind, but is it enough?

The other word, privacy. Us Brits prided ourselves on our net curtains and our 'don't ask, don't tell' attitude with our private life. With the advent of FB et al that seems to be vanishing too. There have always been exhibitionists but now it appears everyone feels it's good to share. Can we over share? And if we do, what happens?

Silence and privacy - too much or too little have an affect on our minds and spirits. Will we be shaped by technology or will we wrest back control and ensure it evolves within our collective comfort zones in the future? I wonder what Mark Zuckerberg will have to say when he is middle aged, and a little crabby, and some young upstart invents something that threatens his sense of privacy? I hope I'm still here to say, "what goes around, comes around"!

My washing machine has just finished it's cycle, so I will contemplate the silence, and the fact that I just posted my inner thoughts on-line, and what that must say about me.





http://www.silentsingle.com/Store/DII-46-5-2+minute+silence.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E

4 comments:

  1. An interesting post. I've just started blogging (mine's a lightweight 'show and tell' one - I set it up to network with folks re vintage fairs) and I'm interested in your last comments about posting innermost thoughts online. I suppose it's the same as in 'real life' - we present a front that may - or may not - reflect where we're actually at, at the time. (Cheerfully saying 'Fine' to someone who asks how we are, when we're crying inside). I crave and relish silence much more than my husband, who likes to have radios on everywhere! I'm going to stop now - I'm going on!! Have a peaceful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Vintage Tea Time, Thank you for your insightful comment. I had a look at your blog, it's great. I go to markets and anywhere I may find something interesting too. I'm not in your area sadly so will have to just read about your finds.

    I alternate between show and tell (mine are books) and any issue that is on my mind. Silence and privacy are lacking with me at the moment, life is too hectic and I am craving what I can't have... The human condition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'We need silence for our mental health.' I do agree with that thought. I've enjoyed browsing your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Vintage Reading, since I've posted this the thought has stayed with me, I guess the nearest I get to silence is reading, and I think that's cheating. I so agree with your comments about Costa and their loyalty cards!

    ReplyDelete